Surprising Discoveries in the Roman Catholic Bible
The churches of Christ Greet You (Romans )
“Our special desire for all of the sons of the Church is that, knowing well the Bible, they may obtain a superior knowledge of Jesus Christ” - Pope Benedict XV.
The sincere zealous Catholic who desires to obey the Pope and familiarize himself with the Bible will be surprised as much by what he finds as what he does not find in it. If he can obtain a copy of the Douay Version of the Bible, which has the approbation of the Roman Catholic Church, he will find much that is interesting and profitable.
Teachings of the Catholic Bible
The text of the Catholic Bible (notice that we are
referring to the so-called “Protestant Bible”) teaches much which
the teachings of the Catholic Church. We will cite a number of
examples. All of
these quotations from the New Testament are taken from the 1941 edition
Revision of the Challoner-Rheims Version edited by Catholic Scholars
Patronage of the Episcopal Committee of the Confraternity of Christian
and published by St. Anthony Guild Press. The Catholic Bible is called
1. The text of the Roman Catholic Bible forbids
followers of Christ to call any man “Father.” “And call no one on earth
father; for one is your Father, who is in heaven” (
2. The clear teaching of the text of the Roman Bible is that Mary, the mother of Jesus, was NOT nearer to God than any other who does His will. “While he (Jesus) was still speaking to the crowds, his mother and his brethren were standing outside, seeking to speak to him. And someone said to him: Behold thy mother and thy brethren are standing outside, seeking thee. But he answered and said to him who told him: Who is my mother and who are my brethren? And stretching forth his hand towards his disciples, he said, “Behold my mother and my brethren! For whoever does the will of my Father in heaven, he is my brother and sister and mother” (Matthew -50).
It is well to call Mary blessed, because to her was given the divine favor to be the mother of the human body of Jesus (Luke -28, 39-45). But not even the Catholic Bible gives anyone the right to call her “Mother of God.” The deity of the Savior has always existed. Mary was not the mother in this sense. She was the mother of the human Jesus.
3. The text of the Catholic Bible clearly and
teaches that there should be no image in any “Christian” church and
should not bow down to said image or relic. “Thou shalt not make to
graven thing, nor the likeness of any thing that is in heaven above, or
earth beneath, nor of those things that are in the water under the
shalt not adore them nor serve them: I am the Lord thy God” (Exodus
quotation is from the Douay Version of the Old Testament first
published by the
4. The text of the Roman Catholic Bible commands sinners to confess their sins one to another and to God, but there is nothing to indicate that sinners should confess them to a man with the thought that he has power to forgive sins. “Confess, therefore, your sins to one another” (James ). “If we acknowledge our sins, he (GOD) is faithful and just to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all iniquity” (1 John 1:9).
5. It may surprise the Catholic to find that the
text of his
Bible teaches that God sent His Son as Savior and Friend of man, and
hears our prayers when we pray directly to God in the name of the Lord
Christ. Jesus said, “Amen, amen, I say to you. If you ask the Father
in my name he will give it to you” (
6. The text of the Roman Catholic Bible teaches that salvation is free and that those who require money for religions services do so in violation of the teachings of the Word of God. “Freely you have received, freely give” (Matthew 10:8).
7. The text of the Catholic Bible clearly teaches that God ordained NO man to be Vicar of Christ upon earth. Jesus is the ONLY head of the church (Ephesians -23). God sent the Holy Spirit to the apostles to guide them into all truth. “But the Advocate, the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in my name, he will teach you all things, and bring to your mind whatever I have said to you” (St. John 14:26). No where do the apostles speak of a Vicar of Christ, and no man on earth today is inspired by the Holy Spirit to write new truth.
8. Studying the text of the Roman Catholic Bible
that all who hear and obey Jesus Christ will be saved (Heb. 5:8-9).
They do not
need to wait until the hour of death to have the assurance of Heaven,
do they have to suffer in purgatory. Jesus said, “Amen, amen, I say to
who hears my word, and believes him who sent me, has life everlasting,
not come to judgment, but has passed from death to life” (
9. The text of the Catholic Bible emphatically declares that tradition makes the Word of God null and that it is an evidence of disobedience to the revealed truth. “For, letting go the commandment of God, you hold fast the tradition of men, you make void the commandment of God by your tradition, which you have handed down; and many suchlike things you do” (St. Mark 7:8, 13).
To what conclusion can the sincere Roman Catholic come from these clear teachings of his Bible? Surely he will be obliged to conclude that his Church has departed from the pure and precise Word of God.
Catholic Teachings Not Found in the Catholic Bible
It could take books to mention all of the innovations introduced in Roman Catholic worship without the sanction or authority of the Holy Scriptures of the Church. Below are only a few.
1. The Roman Catholic will be surprised to discover that the sign of the cross which is almost indispensable in Catholic worship is not even mentioned in the text of the Catholic Bible. The truth is that the sign of the cross did not originate in Christianity but came from the Pagan Babylonish Mysteries.
2. The Douay Version does not give a single instance of anyone offering a prayer to Mary or to any other saint. This practice did not begin until years after the time of the apostles.
3. Holy Water, so important in Roman Catholic worship, is not mentioned in the text of the Roman Catholic Bible and was unknown in Christian worship until about 1000 years after the time of Christ and the apostles.
4. There is nothing in the text of the Roman Catholic Bible to sustain the teaching of the Celibacy of the Clergy, but there is much that proves that the ministers of Christ have the right to marry and that they did marry (cf. Matt. 8:14-15; Luke 4:38-39; 1 Cor. 9:5). It was Pope Gregory VIII, who lived about 1,000 years after the time of Christ, who made the declaration forbidding priests to marry (cf. 1 Tim. 4:1-6).
5. The Rosary is not mentioned in the text of the Roman Catholic Bible. Beads were used in very ancient times in pagan worship but were not used in “Christian” churches until about 1,000 A. D.
6. The doctrine of Purgatory was not mentioned by Christ or by any of His apostles, and there is not one word in the Catholic Bible which indicates that there is such a place. Purgatory, like many other Roman Catholic doctrines, comes directly from Paganism.
7. Before 1870 the dogma of the infallibility of the Pope did not exist in the Roman Catholic Church and there is not one word in the text of the Roman Catholic Bible to sustain it.
8. The sincere Roman Catholic will be surprised to find that the word pope does not appear in the text of the Catholic Bible.
9. A conscientious study of the text of the Catholic Bible will reveal that no priests, such as the Roman Catholic priests, were ordained by Jesus Christ or by any other with divine authority.
10. In vain do we search in the text of the Roman Catholic Bible to find that the cross or relics or images were worshipped.
11. Nothing is found to suggest Lent or fasts on Fridays.
12. There is nothing to approve the sale of indulgences.
13. There is nothing to show that Mary was born sinless.
14. There is nothing to prove that Peter was ever
The discovery that so many teachings and practices of Catholic worship are not found in the Bible, the origin of true Christianity, is truly astounding. What can this indicate except that the Roman Church has abandoned the teachings of Christ to follow the commands of men?
The Most Surprising Discovery of All
Amazing as have been the discoveries already mentioned to any sincere man who studies the Catholic Bible there are still more astonishing discoveries reserved for him. He will find that his Church has deliberately added to the Word of God in direct violation of the will of God concerning His Word. This is the warning:
“I testify to everyone who hears the words of the prophecy of this book: If anyone shall add to them, God will add unto him the plagues that are written in this book. And if anyone shall take away from the words of this book of this prophecy, God will take away his portion from the tree of life; and from the holy city, and from the things that are written in this book” (Apocalypse 22:18, 19).
This warning is given on almost the last page of the Holy Scriptures. The faithful Catholic will note that his Church has inserted foot-notes in their authorized editions of the Bible. In these notes they try to explain or change the clear meaning of the Word of God to make it conform to their erroneous teachings.
Furthermore, without blushing, they boldly violate the commands of Christ in His Word. Rome insist that the decrees of their councils and the ex-cathedra declarations of popes and others are as obligatory and of as much value to Christians as the Word of God. To no one has God given authority in this way to violate His Holy Revelation given for the hearts and necessities of mankind. And He will not hold those innocent who thus sin against Him.
Dear friend, read for yourself the Word of God. It is written for you. Rightly divide the teachings of the Bible and you will learn its meaning. Do not allow yourself to be misled by anyone. Let Christ be your Savior and the Holy Scriptures your guide. Then you will know the truth and “the truth will make you free” (John ).