WHY IS THERE A NEED FOR DIVINE AUTHORITY? - 2
The churches of Christ Greet You (Romans )
authority is needed
a. because man is not capable of successfully directing his own steps.
b. God’s prophet, Jeremiah, said,
Lord, I know that the way of man is not in himself:
it is not in man that walketh to direct his steps” (Jeremiah 10:23).
2. Human authority is not reliable because it is a product of fallible man.
a. As God said to His people, “My thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways my ways …” (Isaiah 55:8).
b. The Creator intended for the Word of God (the Bible) to be a
“lamp unto our feet and a light unto our path” (Psalms 119:105).
3. The opinions of folks will always differ,
a. but opinions are not to be our source of authority.
b. The wise man reminded, “There is a way which seemeth right unto a man;
But the end thereof are the ways of death” (Proverbs ).
c. Paraphrased, this passage might say, “Man has an opinion which seems right, but the end will lead to death.”
4. Divine authority or the right to command belongs to Christ.
a. And because of this truth
b. the Scripture says, “Neither is there salvation in any other; for there is none other name
under heaven given among men, whereby we must be saved” (Acts 4:12).
5. This above point proves
a. that the other three man-made sources of authority -
1) religious experience,
2) traditions or doctrines of the church,
3) one’s own reason or opinion
b. are false sources of authority.
6. These three are not to be followed
a. if one desires to walk that narrow road
b. which leads to life eternal (Matt. -14).
7. What does God say one MUST do to get on that narrow road?
a. He says you must hear His word (Rom. ) in order to have faith in Jesus.
b. We must believe Jesus is the Savior, the Son of God (John ; Heb. 11:6).
1. You must repent of your sins (Acts 17:30; Luke 13:3).
2. And you must be immersed in water (Col. 2:12; Rom. 6:3-4)
3. to wash your sins away by the blood of Christ (Acts 22:16; Rev. 1:5).
8. Jesus will then indwell you through His Spirit and add your saved soul to His church (Acts 2:38, 47),
b. If you will then live faithfully unto/until death,
c. God will bless you with life eternal (Rev. 2:10; Matt. 10:22).