Text: Galatians 5:22-23; 1 Corinthians 13:1-8, 13
1. Since Christ dwells in our hearts by faith,
a. we should be "rooted and grounded in love (Eph. 3:17).
b. Our love should be genuine or sincere (Rom. 12:9)
1. as we walk in love (Eph. 5:2),
2. and speak the truth in love (Eph. 4:15).
2. Pray a prayer...
1. But WHY?
a. Because He first loved us (1 John 4:19).
b. Because all things will then work together for our good (Rom. 8:28).
c. Because God has PREPARED many wonderful things for those who love Him (Read 1 Cor. 2:9-10).
1. He has PREPARED a kingdom for us to inherit (Matt. 25:34).
2. The mysteries of this kingdom have been revealed unto us (Matt. 13:11).
a. The one body or church on earth is that kingdom (Matt. 16:18-19),
b. and the Heavenly city, the New Jerusalem,
c. is also prepared for us after this life (Heb. 11:16; Rev. 21:2).
1. We who love God are chosen heirs of this kingdom (Jam. 2:5).
2. What a blessing...for many are called, but few are chosen (Matt. 22:14).
2. Friends, we should love God because, "If any man loves God
the same is known of Him" (1 Cor. 8:3).
a. The Bible says, "The Lord knows them that are his" (2 Tim. 2:19).
b. And He has promised a "crown of life" to them that love Him (Jam. 1:12).
1. But we must depart from iniquity (2 Tim. 2:19)
2. and be faithful unto death to receive that crown (Rev. 2:10).
3. We should also love the Lord our God for a negative
a. The Holy Spirit says "If any man love not the Lord..."
b. he will be accursed when the Lord comes (1 Cor. 16:22).
c. We hope that none of us will be in that number!
4. The next question is, HOW do we love Him?
a. The answer is simple but profound.
b. We love Him by keeping His Word (Read John 14:15, 21-24).
1. We perfect or make our love complete by keeping His Word (1 John 2:5).
2. Jude commands us to keep ourselves in the love of God (Jude 21).
3. "This is the love of God, that we keep his commandments..." (1 John 5:3).
1. Who is our neighbor?
a. Jesus taught that our neighbor is anyone
b. upon whom we show mercy (Luke 10:36-37).
c. Thus, any man, any where can be our neighbor.
2. But WHY should we love our neighbor?
a. To fulfill the royal law.
b. Read James 2:8-9.
3. HOW are we to love our neighbor?
a. By seeking the best for him (AGAPE).
b. Read Matthew 5:43-47.
a. So that the world will know we are Christ's disciples (Read John 13:34-35).
b. God also teaches us to love one another (1 Thess. 4:9),
c. and our love will fulfill the law (Rom. 13:8).
2. The Apostle of Love gives us many more reasons
a. WHY we should love one another.
b. Let's read a few of them together.
c. Read 1 John 2:10-11; 3:10, 14-15; 4:7-12, 20-21.
3. So HOW do we love one another?
a. Already we know we are to love each other as Jesus loved us (John 13:34).
b. "Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends" (John 15:13).
4. Peter tells us to "love as brethren" (1 Pet. 3:8-9).
a. We are all members of the same family - the family of God.
b. Part of this family is in Heaven
c. and the rest of it is on the earth (Eph. 3:15).
5. Brethren should be "kindly affectioned one to another, in
honor preferring one another" (Rom. 12:10).
a. We should forbear or put up with one another in love (Eph. 4:1-3).
b. To do this we must "love one another with a pure heart fervently" (1 Pet. 1:22).
1. Our love should cause us to "serve one another" (Gal. 5:13).
2. That's why the apostle John says (Read 1 John 3:16-18).
6. HUSBANDS, love your wife like Christ loved the church (Eph. 5:25).
a. Love your wife like you love your own body (Eph. 5:28).
b. Don't be bitter or harsh against your wife,
c. but love her (Col. 3:19).
7. Women, love your husband and your children (Tit. 2:5).
a. All of us should love our leaders
b. and esteem them highly for their works sake (1 Thess. 5:12-13).
1. The World (Read 1 John 2:15-17).
2. Money (Read 1 Tim. 6:10).
3. Neither should we love self, pleasures,
a. father, mother, son or daughter
b. more than we love God (2 Tim. 3:1-5; Matt. 10:37).
4. And finally, we should not love lies (Read Rev. 22:15).
1. As Paul prayed for the church at Thessalonia, even so do WE
May "the Lord make you to increase and abound in love one toward another,
and toward all men..." (1 Thess. 3:12).
2. Invitation to come to Jesus..."The Spirit and the bride say, Come" (Rev. 22:17).
a. Come as you hear the Word of God, for "faith comes by hearing" God's Word (Rom. 10:17).
b. Come believing in God, for without faith you cannot please Him (Heb. 11:6).
c. Come believing in Jesus, for if you don't you will die in your sins (John 8:24).
d. Come with a repentful heart, for God "commands all men everywhere to repent" (Acts 17:30).
e. Come confessing your faith in Christ, as you believe in Him with your heart (Rom. 10:9-10).
f. Come and be IMMERSED (baptized) in water into Christ (John 3:5; Gal. 3:27)
1. so that you can be saved (Mark 16:16)...
2. Having all your sins washed away
3. by the blood of Jesus (Rev. 1:5).
g. The Holy Spirit will then indwell you (Acts 2:38; Rom. 8:9-17),
1. and the Lord will then add you to His CHURCH (Acts 2:41, 47)...
2. the church of Christ (Rom. 16:16).
Go To: From Heaven With Love
Return to Top
Return To: LOVE
Return To Home Page