TEN BIG THINGS
The churches of Christ Greet You (Romans 16:16)
1. As Christians we should never major in minors - i.e.,
problems, trials, sicknesses, etc.
a. We should always be looking for the
things that are important...
b. the things that really matter in
2. In this lesson
a. we desire to share with you
b. several of the things that God has
revealed to be of major importance.
1. If they
are of major importance to God,
2. then so
should they be to us. Amen!
1. 1 Cor. 13:13 There remains three great virtues -
a. Faith, hope, and love -
b. the greatest or supreme virtue is
2. Brethren, is there any bitterness and hate,
a. bickering and strife going on in this
b. If so, it needs to stop right now.
needs to stop because it is impossible for a heart filled with love
entertain bitterness, hate, bickering, and strife.
3. Those who love each other do not engage in such things.
a. Such emotions have no place either in
the heart or life of those disciples
b. who are following the loving Son of
God as their example.
4. When our hearts are permitted to overflow with love for God
a. and for His children
b. all envy, strife, and bitterness
vanish into forgetfulness.
5. Matt. 22:37-40 The two greatest commands...
a. Love God with H, S, M, S
b. and love neighbor like self.
6. 1 John 4:8 God is love, so those who don’t love don’t
7. John 3:16 God loves us, and He has shown us how much He
8. Rom. 13:8 The only thing we are required to owe
anyone is LOVE.
a. This love is not in word only!
b. We must SHOW our love through service
(Gal. 5:6, 13).
9. We owe a full measure of service to our brethren
a. and to the people of the world around
us (Read Gal. 6:10).
b. We owe a full measure of service to
the fatherless and the widow (James 1:27),
1. and to
all who are lost (Mark 16:15-16).
2. It is
our duty to be kind, cheerful, considerate, forgiving and merciful.
10. Paul confessed himself debtor to all men (Rom. 1:14),
a. and so are we.
b. We must never forget this.
11. John 13:34-35 When people see our love for each other
a. they will know that we are God’s
b. Sing song, “We Are One In The
that our unity will one day be restored.
with each other...And together we’ll spread the news...
to the Father..Praise to Christ Jesus...Praise to the Spirit...
12. Beware: Because the influence of sin is so strong, the love of many
people will grow cold!
II. Spread The Word (Our Job)
1. What is the job of a Christian?
a. As you think about that, let’s ask a
more personal question: What is your job?
b. Each of us have a job to do.
2. Depending on what we consider to be “our job,”
a. will decide for us rather or not our
job is a minor thing
b. that we should not major in.
3. There is ONE major job of importance
a. that God has given those who call
themselves His people,
b. His servants, His children -
4. God owns us, He’s hired us, He’s bought us, He’s told us
a. to go to every ethnic culture with
the Gospel of Jesus Christ.
b. GO Preach The Word To All Nations -
that’s our job (Matt. 28:18-20).
c. That’s the job of every
Christian. Do you agree with that?
5. Isa. 55:11 God has a purpose that can only be accomplished
through the hearing of His word.
6. 2 Tim. 2:2 We are to teach faithful souls like you, so you can
teach others, and they likewise.
7. We are God’s servants.
a. We serve by spreading the Word.
b. There are many ways to serve and
spread God’s word...
c. just use your imagination (put tracts
in bills, banks, supermarkets, toilets, etc.).
8. The important thing is not
how you do it, but THAT you DO IT.
a. Spreading the word should be the
major job in your life.
b. Military officer, bank president,
janitor, school teacher, etc.
c. are all minor jobs in which we should
9. To be pleasing to God as a good soldier, “No man that warreth
entangleth himself with the
affairs of this life” (2 Tim. 2:4).
10. Please don’t misunderstand; your jobs are important.
a. They have been given to you by God
b. to help provide the physical things
you need and desire.
However, the physical aspect of your job
2. is what
puts it in the class of minor things...
jobs are suited and being used mainly for physical things.
11. Christians are to seek the things that are above (Col. 3:1-4),
a. for “the way of life is above to the
wise” (Prov. 15:24).
b. Spiritual things are the major things
in life (Rom. 8:6).
words of God are spirit and life (John 6:63).
2. Our job
is to spread “the words of eternal life” (John 6:68).
III. Pray Always
1. Luke 18:1-8 Pray always.
2. 1 Thess. 5:17-18 Give thanks to God for all things
a. We can pray without ceasing by the
life we live...
b. a life which is pleasing and thankful
3. 1 John 5:14-15 Ask IAW God’s will and you’ll have what
you ask for.
a. Do you really believe this passage?
b. Prayer is a part of our worship to
c. Worship is another major thing in the
eyes of God.
4. If you are not already doing so,
a. you should begin a prayer meeting in
your home or at your church building
b. at least one evening during the week.
5. We are encouraging and pleading with each member of the church
a. to come and pray together and bring
your prayer request.
b. You can list the request on a chalk
c. and then pray together for God’s will
to be done concerning the request.
6. Brethren, we know this may mean
a. you have to make another commitment
b. on another day beside Sunday.
7. But, loved ones, it will be well worth every second you spend
a. and every effort you make to come
together for an hour or two of prayer.
b. You will witness God’s power working
c. in a way you may never get to
experience if you refuse this commitment.
IV. Faith vs Unbelief
1. Heb. 12:1 UNBELIEF is the snaring or besetting sin.
2. The Jews are examples of unbelief (Read Heb. 4:2, 6,
a. Because of their unbelief they were
broken off from God’s olive tree (Rom. 11:20-24).
b. The disciples of Christ could not
heal a boy by casting out his demon
c. because of their unbelief (Matt.
3. Jesus did not do many miracles in His home town of Nazareth
a. because of their unbelief (Matt.
b. Many of the Jewish people saw the
miracles done by Christ, “yet they believed not on him”
4. Heb. 11:6 Unbelief will never be pleasing to God.
a. He that does not believe the Son
shall not see life (John 3:36).
b. Unbelievers will die in their sins
c. The Hebrew writer warns us to “take
heed, lest there be in any of you an evil heart of
unbelief, in departing from the living God” (Heb. 3:12).
5. Rom. 1:16 The word is the power to save a believer
a. (we are saved through faith - Eph.
2:8; cf. Rom. 10:17).
b. Many people are NOT saved. Why?
Because they don’t believe the word.
6. They don’t believe because they have not heard (heeded) the
word (Rom. 10:17).
a. We therefore must be diligent in our
study of the word (2 Tim 2:15).
b. Then the snare of unbelief will go
away from us.
7. You will know that you are a believer when you find yourself
obeying God’s word.
1. Prov. 29:18 (cf. Isa. 28:7) Many are perishing due to
lack of vision (revelation).
2. Every Christian must have vision.
a. We must look ahead to see what we
want for our own life and our children’s lives.
b. We must look ahead to see what we
want for the church.
c. We must look ahead to see what God’s
3. Phil. 3:12-14 Forget what’s behind and press on...
a. Don’t get hung up in the past, i.e.,
past accomplishments, past sins, etc.
b. Don’t worry about the present.
c. Keep looking toward the future and
1. 1 Cor. 13:4 Love is patient.
2. Rom. 5:1-5 Trials lead to patience.
3. James 1:2-4 Therefore, rejoice in trials.
1. Matt. 18:3-4 You must be converted.
a. You know you are converted when you
become like a little child.
b. Children are innocent, pure,
trusting, loving, humble (they have no PRIDE).
2. Read Matt. 19:13-14 Always bring the children to Jesus.
a. For of such is the kingdom of heaven.
b. When you receive a child, you receive
Jesus and the Father (Mark 9:36-37).
1. 2 Chron. 7:14 If God’s people will humble themselves,
pray, seek God, and turn from sin -
a. then God will hear their prayer,
forgive their sin,
b. and heal their land.
2. Job 22:29 Only the humble will be saved.
a. We therefore must humble ourselves.
b. God gives His grace only to the
humble (James 4:6-10).
3. Prov. 22:4 By humility and fear of the Lord comes
riches, honor, and life!
a. The humble person will be lifted up
(Matt. 23:12 or exalted James 4:10).
b. The wise child of God will therefore
be clothed with humility.
c. God will exalt you in due time (1
1. Oba. 3 The pride of your heart deceives you.
2. Pride will be the downfall of many (1 John 2:15-17).
IX. Don’t Be Partial
1. Acts 10:34-35 God accepts all who do what is right.
a. It matters not what race or color we
b. We should not be prejudice or do
anything by partiality (1 Tim. 5:21).
c. God’s wisdom knows no partiality.
2. James 2:1-4 Show no respect of persons.
a. Don’t put any people above any other
b. due to age, sex, weight, education,
economic status, etc.
X. Don’t Fear Man
1. Matt. 10:28-31 The most man can do is kill your body.
a. FEAR GOD who can send your soul and
body to hell.
b. God gives His people the spirit of
power, love, and a sound mind - not fear (2 Tim. 1:7).
2. Heb. 13:5-6 We should not fear man because God
will not leave or forsake us.
a. He will be our helper,
b. so why should we fear what man can do
3. 1 John 4:17-18 There is no fear in love;
a. mature (perfect) love drives away
b. Rev. 2:10 Fear none of the
things you will suffer. Be faithful unto death.
1. Loved ones, love, spreading the Word, prayer, faith, vision,
a. children, humility, no partiality, no
fear of man are important to God.
b. We hope they are important to you.
2. The lesson is yours.
Return To: Lessons for Spiritual Growth
Return To Home page