WHO ARE WE?
The churches of Christ Greet You (Romans )
Intro... Read 2 Peter 1:12-13; 3:1-2
By way of encouragement we want to help all more
a. who we are as Christians
b. and what we are to teach and preach.
I. WE ARE GOD'S MESSENGERS
1. In verse 41 of the judgment scene of
a. we learn that hell has been prepared for the devil and his angels.
b. The Greek word for angels can also be translated "messengers."
1. Therefore, the devil has messengers or angels (Read 2 Cor. -15).
2. But God also has messengers.
c. John wrote to the angel or "messenger" of the seven churches of Asia
(Rev. 2:1, 8, 12, 18; 3:1, 7, 14).
2.. We today are also God's messengers or "angels."
a. As messengers we are to preach the Gospel of Jesus Christ,
b. for the Gospel is God's power to save (Rom. 1:16).
3. God has many people in our cities and in all the world.
a. God calls these people by the Gospel (2 Thess. 2:14).
b. But they must hear the call before they can become the chosen.
c. Unfortunately, many are called but few are chosen (Matt. 22:14).
4. Souls are chosen in Christ (Eph. 1:4).
a. Thus, our job as messengers
b. is to take the Gospel to the whole world (Mark ; Read 2 Cor. 4:3-4, 7).
5. Every lost person that God allows you to meet needs to hear the Gospel.
a. Now you won't always have time to preach to them in passing,
b. but you can give them a good tract,
1. or at least invite them to attend the worship services
2. of the church of Christ in their area.
6. When you do that you are planting the seed.
a. The seed is the Word of God (Luke 8:11).
b. But before the seed can grow it must be planted and watered.
7. Our job as messengers (God's angels) is to plant and water the seed.
a. God then brings the increase (1 Cor. 3:6).
b. If we don't plant and water, who will?
8. Who are we? What are we to preach?
II. WE ARE GOD'S SERVANTS
1. Paul said, “For we preach not ourselves,
Christ Jesus the Lord, and ourselves your servants
for Jesus sake” (2 Cor. 4:5).
2. When you became a servant of God you became a servant of all mankind,
a. but Jesus is the only MASTER.
b. A servant's job is to do what the master tells him to do (Read Luke ).
c. The servant
is to learn from and follow the example of the master.
3. Our master tells us to seek and save the lost (Matt 28:19).
a. As servants we are to give meat to the hungry, drink to the thirsty,
b. take into our care the stranger, clothe the naked,
1. visit the sick, the widow, and the fatherless,
2. go and teach the prisoners.
3. And we do these things for Jesus’ sake
4. or as if we are doing them unto Jesus (Matt. 25:35-40).
4. As servants, we are all on the same level.
a. The preacher is not to be exalted.
b. The preacher is just a minister by whom you believed (1 Cor. 3:3-5).
5. Yes, honor the preacher for his works sake,
a. take care of the preacher by giving him the support he needs,
b. but don't put him on a pestle as though he's more than a man.
c. All men and women are on the same level before God (Gal. ).
6. Who are we, and what are we to preach?
III. WE ARE GOD'S PREACHERS OF REPENTANCE.
1. There is not enough time
a. to tell you about all of God's preachers of repentance.
b. But Enoch, the 7th from Adam, was the first (Jude 14-15).
2. Then Noah, a preacher of righteousness,
a. preached repentance to a wicked world (2 Pet. 2:5).
b. Jonah didn't want to,
c. but he preached repentance to the city of Nineveh.
3. Jeremiah, Isaiah, and all the other major and minor prophets
a. were preachers of repentance.
b. John the Baptizer came on the scene saying:
“Repent ye, for the kingdom of Heaven is at hand” (Matt. 3:2).
4. Jesus’ first sermon was on repentance (Matt. 4:17).
a. Loved ones, we too must tell people to repent!
b. God wants all people “to be saved and come to the knowledge of the truth” (1 Tim. 2:4).
5. But if a person does not repent he will perish (Luke 13:3).
a. That's why God is so longsuffering with us,
b. He doesn't want anyone to perish, He wants us to repent (2 Pet. 3:9).
6. Brethren, we must tell people to repent of their lying, laziness, wickedness, and drunkenness.
a. We must tell thieves to stop stealing, and homosexuals & prostitutes to change their lives.
b. We must tell males to stop getting our unmarried women and girls pregnant;
c. and tell females to stop dressing like prostitutes.
7. We are preachers of repentance.
8. Who are we, and what are we to preach?
IV. WE ARE SONS OF GOD.
1. The Bible says (Read 1 John 3:2).
a. As sons of God, we are to be bold as lions (Acts 4:13),
b. but gentle as lambs (2 Cor. 2:7).
2. As sons of God, we are to love each other
a. as brothers and sisters in the same family.
b. Jesus said (Read John 13:34-35).
3. We should not be struggling against each other,
a. for we are all flesh and blood.
b. Our struggle should be against the spiritual forces of wickedness (Eph. 6:12).
4. God has only one family, part of it is in Heaven ,
a. the other part is here on earth (Eph. 3:14-15).
b. 1 John 4:20 says (Read).
1. Verse 18 says (Read).
2. By love we are to serve one another (Gal. 5:13).
5. As sons of God, we are to grow into full grown, strong, faithful disciples.
a. The Bible says (Read 1 Pet. 2:2-3).
b. There are four absolutes in physical growth: food, breathing, exercise, and rest.
6. For Christian growth, all four of these absolutes are spiritual.
a. Our spiritual food is God's Word (the Bible).
b. We should read it, study it, memorize it, practice it, and hear it taught and preached.
7. Our spiritual breathing is prayer.
a. We must spend time every day talking to God about everything we do;
b. about our needs and problems;
c. about our family, friends and enemies;
1. and tell Him how much we love Him
2. and how grateful we are to be in His family..
8. Our spiritual exercise comes by helping others...
a. telling others about Christ,
b. giving time and energy to God's work,
c. and being a living testimony to the world you live in (Rom. 12:1-2).
9. Our spiritual rest means worship: both public and private worship.
a. Spiritual rest means being still and waiting on God.
b. It means physical and spiritual renewal.
10. As Sons of God, Jesus wants us to have victory over sin in our life.
a. The Bible says, “For whatever is born of God overcomes the world,
and this is the victory that has overcome the world, even our faith” (1 John 5:4).
b. The Christian life is difficult, but victory is assured because
“Greater is He who is in you than he who is in the world” (1 John 4:4).
11. But even with victory assured,
a. there will be acts of disobedience and failures
b. because of your human weakness.
12. However, God has provided a means
a. by which you can be cleansed of daily sins.
b. His Word says, “If we confess our sins, He is faithful and righteous to
forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness” (1 John 1:9).
13. So, when you sin, don't try to deny it or excuse it.
a. Rather, confess it to God,
b. and pray that the thought of your heart be forgiven you (Acts 8:22).
V. WHAT ARE WE TO PREACH?
1. We are to preach the cross of Christ,
a. we preach Christ, and Him crucified (1 Cor. 1:18, 23).
b. We preach Jesus - the matchless Son of God.
2. Jesus - born of a virgin in the little town of Bethlehem.
a. Jesus - raised in the town of Nazareth until about 30 years old.
b. Jesus - baptized by John in muddy Jordan.
1. Jesus - being anointed with the Holy Spirit of God as a dove.
2. Jesus - tempted by the devil 40 days in the wilderness.
3. What Are We To Preach? We Preach…
a. Jesus - walking around Galilee making disciples.
b. Jesus - miracle worker in a desert land.
c. Jesus - weeping over the lost city of Jerusalem.
4. We Preach
a. Jesus - praying three times in the garden of Gethsemane.
b. Jesus - standing trial before unjust courts.
1. Jesus - beaten, mocked, spit upon.
2. Jesus - crucified for your sins and mine.
3. Jesus - shedding his soul cleansing,
a. church purchasing,
b. New Testament inaugurating blood.
5. We Preach
a. Jesus - being buried in a new tomb.
b. Jesus - coming forth from that grave on the 3rd day never to die again
c. Jesus - appearing to His disciples for about 40 days,
1. telling them to go into all the world preaching repentance
2. and remission sins in His name.
6. We must Preach
a. Jesus - ascending back to Heaven on a cloud.
b. Jesus - sitting at the right hand of God interceding for you and for me.
c. Jesus - coming back one of these days to take His faithful messengers,
1. His faithful servants,
2. His faithful sons home to glory.